Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Isobel
















I found this old Eldredge treadle at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago. It was covered in rust and all the parts were frozen. But I could see it was a real old treadle head. The girl who was selling it told me she had the old cabinet but it was not for sale. She was using it as a "wedging" table for her clay pots. She offered to show it to me even though she said she would not sell it. I immediately fell in love with it and knew I had to have it. She hemmed and hawed but finally agreed I could have it for $100.00. She seemed quite surprised when I immediately agreed.



I took the machine to a sewing machine repair place and the guy told me to throw it out; it was worthless. At first I was a little downcast but then decided to put the machine back in the cabinet and give it a go with a little oil, some tender loving care and a hammer too to knock some of the rust off. Here she is, about two weeks later cabinet and machine which now runs beautifully reunited. Isobel's dress was sewn on this machine.















It really is one of the most beautiful sewing machine cabinets I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment